Friday, November 4, 2022

Why Regency Novels Continue to Fascinate Readers

I find Regency novels fascinating.  I’ve read hundreds of novels in the genre. In this regard, I am like many other devoted readers. Regency romance has endured for a long time, and I believe will continue to be popular.  For example, the Bridgerton romance series on Netflix has drawn a vast audience. Bridgerton, based on a series of eight novel written by Julia Quinn and adapted for Netflix, has proven to have strong appeal.

  For those who are not familiar with Regency, let’s define it.  When we talk about the Regency era, we mean the brief period lasting between 1811-1820 in England. However, for the sake of the novels, the era begins at the tail end of the Georgian period in about 1800. It includes the scope of the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars in Europe, a period of turmoil, social unrest and political revolution.

 The novels of Jane Austen set in that era have caught the imagination of both readers and writers for centuries.  Her Regency romances like PRIDE AND PREJUDICE entertain because they rely on character and the humor of human foibles. A much later author, Georgette Heyer, was one of the writers who created her own novels set in the Regency era. These romances have also influenced many readers and writers. Her novels even introduced their own unique vocabulary.

Some of the outstanding modern writers of this genre are Mary Jo Putney, Jane Ashford and Mary Balogh, each known for depth of characterization. Modern day Regency romance is longer and more sensual than the earlier novels. 

Today’s Regency romance fans are often very particular about historical references. They want complete accuracy in such matters as clothing, dialog, mores of the social scene and conventions of the era. To this effect, I did extensive research, reading and collecting numerous histories of this era as well as biographies of people who lived in those times before I wrote my own sensual Regency romance TEA LEAVES AND TAROT CARDS. For example, Mr. Brockton who is my heroine’s benefactor runs a posh gaming establishment where many thousands of pounds exchange hands each night. It is frequented by the cream of the ton. His character is based on an actual person who went from fish monger to millionaire and then lost it all again. At the time I initially wrote TEA LEAVES AND TAROT CARDS, I was working as a librarian with access to a multitude of reference sources. My research proved both enjoyable and relatively easy.  Now the internet offers so much valuable information on the Regency era which makes research more convenient.

I am celebrating the new edition of TEA LEAVES AND TAROT CARDS which is now available in all e-book formats and soon in paperback as well.

You’ll find this novel and others I’ve written on the Luminosity website:

https://luminositypublishing.com/en/book/tea-leaves-and-tarot-cards/

Here are some snippets from the book reviews:

"Jacqueline Seewald's Tea Leaves and Tarot Cards delivers an unusual and intriguing heroine together with fast-paced historical romantic-suspense. Seewald is very much at home in her early 19th century setting."  - Jayne Ann Krentz (Amanda Quick)

“TEA LEAVES AND TAROT CARDS is rich in secondary characters across the spectrum of society...TEA LEAVES AND TAROT CARDS has a lot to offer with its original characters and imaginative plot.” - Romance Reviews Today

“It is clear that Seewald's goal is to offer a deeply felt, emotional romance.” - Library Journal

“This is a delightful lighthearted regency frolic.” - Genre Go Round Reviews

Do you read Regency romance? Why or why not? Do you feel this historical sub-genre still has something to offer to modern readers and will continue to appeal to them?

 

 


 

 


8 comments:

  1. A very interesting post, Jacquie. I know Georgette Heyer from her mystery novels, but I've never read her romances. I'll have to try one. The idea of such accuracy in the stories is a a definite draw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! Regency romance does draw intelligent readers.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful for you!
    Good luck and God's blessings with the E & Paperback versions of your book!
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, as they say, from your voice to God's ear!

      Delete
  3. I love well-researched books. We can learn a lot today from the way society operated in the past. The resurgence in popularity of Jane Austen novels indicates a contemporary fascination with Regency romance. I saw a play of Pride and Prejudice just last week. Looking forward to reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saralyn,

      How interesting they've created a play of Pride and Prejudice, one of my all-time favorite novels! I've seen many film versions and enjoyed them.

      Delete
  4. I am excited about reading Tea Leaves and Tarot Cards. I have not read any Regency novels, except for Jane Austen, of course. However, I have read most of your other books, Jacquie, and I am always impressed by your talent as a storyteller. I have particularly enjoyed the Kim Reynolds novels. I look forward to learning more about the Regency era while enjoying what I am sure will be a compelling story. I wish you great success with the novel! By the way, I just want to mention that I think the cover art is excellent as it sets a scene that draws the reader in and gives a sense of what the story will be like.

    ReplyDelete