Friday, March 1, 2019

Nourishing the Brain the Non-fat Way

You’ve probably read how eating certain foods like wild salmon are healthy for your brain. I subscribe to that. But according to “The Genius Section” of the March 2019 issue of READER’S DIGEST, in an article written by Marc Peyser, the perfect brain food is none other than reading. Yep, he refers to “the latest science on the magic of books.” Want to sharpen your brain? Read a book!


Maryanne Wolf, EdD, director of the UCLA Center for Dyslexia, Diverse Learner and Social Justice, observed that reading provides “a unique pause button for comprehension and insight” that oral language or films don’t offer us. Reading also boosts vocabulary, sharpens our reason and expands intellectual horizons.

Additionally, scientists are looking to explain how fiction improves mental health. It turns out that reading a book may not just be an activity that we readers do for E and E (escape and enjoyment). Reading is actually good for our health, both our mental and physical well-being.

Bibliotherapists believe that fiction can be used to change lives on a profound level. This is more art than science. The scientific evidence behind reading for mental health is limited, but researchers are continuing to explore the benefits and possibilities. Reading an uplifting romance novel, for instance, might not be a cure for depression, but can make you feel happier--which contributes to mental health and inner peace.

Children’s books can help youngsters deal with anxiety, fear, and life’s problems of personal trauma and grief. Books  offer young readers relatable characters who deal with hardships and sorrows in positive ways and guide children in facing their own struggles with resilience and hope. I believe my most recent YA novel WITCH WISH, focusing on problems in a dysfunctional family with heart and humor, falls into this category.


If you’re feeling depressed or just plain bored with the everyday hum-drum of life, try reading a book (preferably one of mine since I believe in happy endings). You’ll feel better.

Recommend a book to a friend as well. Nothing beats a shared experience. I prefer to read and write mysteries and romances, as well as novels that combines both attributes. However, there are many varied good choices in non-fiction too. You can learn something new, sharpen your brain, and feel better about the world you live in. And it won’t add any calories, nor will it cost you a penny if you borrow books from the library. 


Thoughts and comments most welcome.

12 comments:

  1. Readers and writers have always known reading was good for us; now science is catching up. Fun post, Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I enjoy sharing information of this kind with fellow readers and writers.

      Delete
  2. Great topic. Glad to know my book habit is healthy. I wish we could get this blog post into the schools. Thanks for writing about such an important subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Saralyn. Yes, we do want to encourage children as well as adults to read more!

      Delete
  3. We readers (and writers) always knew that LOL! Nice to see the Scientific backup though.

    Interesting post Jacquie, thanks for sharing!
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam,

    Thanks for dropping by. Though as you say, no actual surprises here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always amuses me that the scientific community has to compile data to prove things we all have known for a long time. So many examples and this is one of them. Good post, Jacquie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pat,

    Nice to know that scientists see the value in reading books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a lifelong educator, I have always known that getting students to LIKE to read serves them a lifetime of not only pleasure,but academic success.
    Thaks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan,

    As a teacher myself, I totally agree with your assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a teacher, I always emphasized the importance of knowing grammar.

    ReplyDelete

  10. This testimony is worth sharing to the world. I am here to tell the world of the good works of Dr Timan. My name is mank Olivia am from the UK.. My husband left me and my kids for another older woman. It was not so easy for me.. I love my husband so much and I did not lose hope and I kept praying and God finally answered my prayers...i searched online for a spell caster to help me unite me and my lover back forever and i saw so many testimonies of how DR Timan has helped so many people online and i decided to give him a trial … I contacted him and explained to him. He told me not to worry that he will bring back my husband within 24 hours. He consulted his powers and assured me not to worry . He did his work and cast the spell and to my greatest surprise, my husband came back the same day begging and crying just as Dr Timan said. He begged me for forgiveness and he promised never to leave me for any reason. We are happy and we live together as one. Contact Dr Timan now on: ... don't lose hope have a lovely day thanks to you Dr Timan for giveing me joy am so happy with my family now..Dr Timan Email diseases.(drtiman0@gmail.com)2Earn a good money or win a lottery.

    3) achieve success in business.

    4) spiritual problems.

    5) win court case.

    6) Look for your life partner.

    7) get a well paid job.

    8) gain control over your marriage.

    9) receive favor and gain attraction from people.

    10) get back lost money.(11) heal you of all diseases.(drtiman0@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete