Sunday, July 7, 2024

Summer Reading 2024

It’s that time of year again when every magazine, newspaper and newsletter offer suggestions on summer reading. So why should this blog be any different?

Summer is the perfect time to spend some time vacationing or just relaxing. Sit in the sun, lie on a chaise poolside, rest by the ocean or a lake, or under the shade of a tree, sip a cool drink, and read a book—hard cover, soft cover, audio or digital. 

Mysteries remain one of the most popular genres for summer reading. Why? Because they entertain us. They also engage our intellect in a satisfying manner. Romances provide us with a happy ever after ending, good escape reading. If you like reading for enjoyment, it’s the way to go. I just finished reading A PERILOUS PAL by Laura Bradford and I enjoyed it very much. This is a second novel in what may become a series.

I’ve also continued to read a lot of Regency fiction. Just to mention, Luminosity has published my backlist Regency title TEA LEAVES AND TAROT CARDS and just contracted with me for my new Regency novel THE LOST LADY. It continues where the first book left off. 

Lots of good summer reading on the bestseller list. However, there are excellent authors who write for small independent presses and provide us with quality fiction but don’t get as much publicity because they are not with the big publishers.

If you enjoy historical romance, I suggest my novels:

SINFUL SEDUCTION from Luminosity, set during the American Revolution, or HIGHLAND HEART, historical romance set in England and the Scottish Highlands in 1745 at the time of the second Jacobite Rebellion. Luminosity  also published my Western novel THE KILLING LAND month.

What are you reading? You are also most welcome to recommend your own books so others will become aware of them!

 

 

 

18 comments:

  1. Reading Lori Rader Day's "The Death Among Us"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline SeewaldJuly 7, 2024 at 5:06 AM

      Jerry,

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Reading The Red Grove by Tessa Fontaine. Also enjoying Vera, the detective show on Britbox inspired by the character created by the author Anne Cleeves which inpires me to revisit her series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline SeewaldJuly 7, 2024 at 5:08 AM

      Carol,

      Britbox is a great place to find quality mysteries. So is PBS.

      Delete
  3. I seem to be on a Colm Toibin binge. I just finished The Master after reading The Blackstone Lightship. In between I read one of Vaseem Khan's entries in the Ganesh Detective Agency series. I love those stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline SeewaldJuly 7, 2024 at 6:23 AM

      I am not familiar with these authors but will definitely check them out. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  4. I am reading Phantoms and Felonies. It is the second book in the Haunted Mansion Mystery series by Lucy Ness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline SeewaldJuly 7, 2024 at 6:24 AM

      This new series was recommended to me. I do like mysteries with a supernatural element as well as straight ones.

      Delete
  5. I believe any time is the perfect time to read - the problem is finding any time to read! During the summer I prefer to read indoors because of the blistering heat, but I love to read any time, any place I can. Right now I'm working on a non-fiction history book, so perforce most of my reading is original source material - which is absolutely fascinating. I'm also taking notes - of course! - for a novel set in this time period. When I do have time for pleasure reading, I like the old Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters books, and had a lovely time reading your fascinating DEATH PROMISE. More, please???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline SeewaldJuly 7, 2024 at 7:29 AM

      Janis,

      Thank you! So great when a reader gives me feedback on one of my novels. I agree that reading should be anytime at all. But many people read more in the summer because of leisure time and vacations. So it's great to exchange suggestions.

      Delete
  6. As a voracious reader, I'm always devouring books. I'm currently reading "Bones Buried Deep" by Emma Jameson. It's part of her Dr. Bones WWII mystery series set in Cornwall. She also writes the Lord and Lady Hetheridge series in London. They are both detectives. He's a former Scotland Yard chief inspector, now a private detective. She's still with Scotland Yard.

    May I also recommend my Emmeline Kirby-Gregory Longdon mystery series featuring a journalist and a jewel thief. The books are set in the UK and Europe. My website is www.daniellabernett.com. The latest book is BETRAYED BY THE TRUTH. All the books in the series are available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and wherever books are sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline SeewaldJuly 7, 2024 at 8:49 AM

      Daniella,

      Delighted that you have continued to write mysteries. Wishing you much success.

      Delete
  7. I have a suggestion for summer reading that incorporates two of your favorites, Jacqueline, a Regency-set Mystery. The 11th book in my Juliette Abbott Regency Mystery series, Murder In The Merryton Mews by Marilyn Clay, was just released a week ago in ebook, print, and audio. One reviewer called it such a chiling mystery that the pages turn themselves! I'm hoping all readers agree. I also hope everyone has a great summer. It seems to be going very fast this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline SeewaldJuly 7, 2024 at 10:33 AM

      Marilyn,

      Yours is just the type of novel I most enjoy. Regency romantic mysteries are a delight. My coming novel THE LOST LADY will also be romantic mystery set in the Regency era.

      Delete
  8. I remember reading Gone with the Wind during summer vacation, because I had no pressure to do schoolwork and could devour the 1000+ pages at my leisure. I love reading books set in summer in the summer. My own BAD BLOOD SISTERS starts on the 4th of July, so the holiday and the book complement each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline SeewaldJuly 7, 2024 at 12:24 PM

      Saralyn,

      Your novel is a perfect read for the summer.

      Delete
  9. Great post! I would like to recommend my short story collection, THE MIND SPINS, available in paperback, kindle or audio form on Amazon (link below) and other online sellers and orderable through bookstores.

    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=THE+Mind+Spins+Geza+Tatrallyay&crid=5GTFPXP4GF1H&sprefix=the+mind+spins+geza+tatrallyay%2Caps%2C101&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline SeewaldJuly 8, 2024 at 7:10 AM

      Thanks for mentioning your book, Geza, publicity is important.

      Delete