Friday, September 6, 2019

Tips on Overcoming Writer’s Block

As a writer, there are times when my creativity dries up like a parched desert. Writer’s block is something most authors experience at one time or another. We lose our sense of purpose or inspiration. It’s happened to me when I get discouraged collecting rejection slips—a fate common to most writers. There are many ways to get back on track. Here are some suggestions that have worked for me at one time or other in coping with lack of inspiration:

Select a set time for writing each day. (I prefer the early morning.) If you’re a night owl, working in the evening may be better for you. Try to choose a time when you are least likely to suffer interruptions and distractions.

Practice meditation. It both calms and stimulates mental function.

When you are feeling discouraged or unproductive, get away from the computer and go for a walk. Outdoors is best. Sunshine and fresh air are invigorating. If it’s too cold, too hot or nasty outside, use a treadmill or drive over to a mall and walk around inside.

Visit a bookstore and browse. Buy a book you’d like to read.

Visit a library and browse. Borrow a book that looks interesting.

If you’re a fiction writer, read some nonfiction: books, magazines and newspapers, in print or online. If you’re a nonfiction writer, pick up a novel to read. Try to read something you wouldn’t ordinary peruse. Broaden your horizons. Reading inspires writing.

Communicate with other people. Talk to friends and family. Take an interest in their lives.

 Listen in on conversations you overhear in restaurants and at gatherings.

Visit a museum. Study the displays. Take notes on those things that interest you.

Go to an art gallery and study the paintings for inspiration.  Put yourself into an interesting painting. Who are you?  Where are you?  What are you doing?

Take a trip somewhere you’ve never been before. Get out of your comfort zone and predictable life style. Visit a different city or a different country. Plan a vacation. The stimulation of meeting unfamiliar people and seeing different places can inspire new thoughts and ideas.

Finally, we come full circle. Help can be found on the internet as well.  For example, check out this essay on the different techniques employed by successful, famous authors to stimulate their writing:


Comments welcome here!


18 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqueline,
    All great suggestions! I've never had writer's block. At the risk of repeating some ideas from your posts, let me indicate some "products" I use to avoid it: write stuff down as what-ifs, theme and plot ideas, character sketches, notes on possible settings, dialogue snippets, and so forth. Napkins in a bar, restaurant, or coffee house are great for that. Just get them onto the laptop ASAP! I was doing that all my life prior to first publishing in 2006. Of course, for that "next story," I have to refer to those notes.
    Oh, I forgot two things: (1) Challenges! I challenged myself to add mystery and thriller genres to my sci-fi CV, also YA. That used a lot of those "products" mentioned above. (2) Expanding short fiction into novels. When I start a story, I never know whether it will be a short, novella, or novel. The latter is a marathon, so I often just make it a dash. With writing, one can turn that dash into a 1500 meter race or a marathon later on. ;-)
    r/Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven,

    Thanks so much for offering a detailed commentary on ways to avoid suffering from writer's block. You're obviously very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't experienced real writer's block, but when I feel drained and need to fill the well, I love taking a walk, finding physical chores to do especially outside, and getting out of the house to a new area. I also meditate and try to read widely. Good post, Jacquie, especially for those frustrated with writer's block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      I also find walking to be beneficial in all respects.

      Delete
  4. Great post as usual. Unfortunately, writer's block is a problem we all face sometime, though hopefully rarely. Thanks for the ideas! Susan, aka Janis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janis,

      Thanks for commenting. We hope to never experience the loss of creativity, but it does happen.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the interesting post, Jacqueline. If I have writer's block, it's usually not a lack of ideas, but a problem of being either too close or too far removed from the subject of the writing. For example, after a devastating hurricane, I couldn't write about hurricanes. And if too much time elapsed, I might be too detached from the experience to write about it. Distance, for me, is a huge factor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very interesting observation, Saralyn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these "prescriptions" work even if a person does not get writer's block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Sharon. I believe they spark our creative juices.

      Delete
  8. All good points, Jacqueline. When I lived closer to the ocean I used to like to drive up the coast, music blasting. That always seemed to help me get over any problems I was having on the page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking a drive and listening to music especially close to the ocean is great for the psyche.

      Delete
  9. Great suggestions, and I have tried every one of them some time in my career. Meditation through a nature walk and traveling to some exotic/new clime work wonders. Thanks for another thoughtful blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      Thanks for the comments. Nature walks and traveling are wonderful.

      Delete
  10. ALL wonderful tips, Jacqueline
    Thanks for sharing!
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam. It's always a pleasure hearing from you.

      Delete
  11. At the moment, my biggest barrier to writing is being too busy. I definitely find that setting aside an early section of my day is how to get back on track. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,

      I believe the hardest part of writing for anyone who has a regular job is setting the needed time aside. I know that was true for me as well.

      Delete