Friday, July 12, 2019

Interview with Mystery Author Kathy McIntosh

Today I have the pleasure of interviewing author Kathy McIntosh. Kathy loves the way words sound and the way they look on a page. In addition to creating offbeat adventures for the zany characters in her novels, she is an editor who helps others make their words the best possible. Kathy’s first novel was chosen as one of Idaho’s Top Ten Fiction books and she was named one of the top three emerging writers for that year.


Kathy shares space with a part Lab, part Catahoula Leopard hound known as the neighborhood Welcome Waggin’. She and her husband travel the world as often as they can, in search of adventure and great meals. (Although they find plenty of great food in Tucson, named the first UNESCO City of Gastronomy in the U.S.) More about Kathy, her writing, and a chance to sign up for her very occasional newsletter and a free short story, are at www.kathymcintosh.com.

Question: What is the title and genre of your new novel?  Why did you select them?

Answer: My novel is titled Murder, Sonoran Style, An Adventure Calls Mystery. It is an amateur sleuth mystery. I chose the title because the titles of my first two novels didn’t reveal that they were mysteries. I chose the genre because I like putting regular people in difficult situations and forcing them to solve the mystery. I also think it’s easier to add humor to amateur sleuth mysteries.


Question:  What inspired this novel? How did it come about?

Answer: When I moved to Arizona, I knew I wanted to set my next novel here. I happened to stay in the town of Benson, AZ, and read about a proposed development that would potentially affect the San Pedro River National Conservation Area, because of its size and its proximity to that area’s water table. Even after the several years it took for my novel to be published, the controversy remains.

Question:  Could you tell us a little bit about the heroine and/or hero of your novel?

Answer:  My hero is Gabe Ramsay, a former science professor who left his tenure track post in disgrace, falsely accused by a very wealthy donor of attacking the donor’s wife. He buys into Adventure Calls, an eco-tour company, as another way to teach people about nature and ecology and to prove he can succeed in business. Of course his hopes are challenged when he finds the dead body of someone he’d recently fought with, stabbed with Gabe’s skinning knife. He gets help solving the murder from the tour company’s spirited chef, Madrone Hunter.

Question:   Can you tell us about some of your other published novels or work?

Answer:  My first two novels are part of the Havoc in Hancock humorous suspense series. Mustard’s Last Stand and Foul Wind are set in north Idaho, where the wackiest characters live. (I lived in the south part of the state.) I’ve also had a few short stories published.

Question:   What are you working on now?

Answer:  I’m working on the second Adventure Calls mystery, in which Madrone, the chef, will take the lead.

Question:   What made you start writing?

Answer:  I’ve always loved reading and words and love to make people laugh. In my business career, I wrote scads of marketing documents, so I already knew how to spin fiction.

Question:   What advice would you offer to those who are currently writing novels?

Answer: Trust in yourself, and keep going, with a goal of getting better with every novel, every story you write. Listen to critique partners but don’t lose your own unique voice.

Question:  Where and when will readers be able to obtain your novel?

Answer: Murder, Sonoran Style, is available in ebook and paperback on Amazon.com. It’s also sold through IngramSpark and in two local Tucson bookstores.


Kathy welcomes comments and questions. 

20 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for inviting me into your blog home, Jacquie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Interview Ladies!
    Good luck and God's blessings Kathy
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy and Jacqueline,
    I'll second Pamela's comment: great interview.
    I know enough about your book now, Kathy, that it's going on my TBRoR-list ("To Be Read or Reviewed"). That eco-aware prof could be me! I've been a member of Nature Conservancy for years and still participate in MASSPIRG although we now live in NJ. Clean and available water has always been a concern of mine since my days of pounding stakes for a civil engineer in a bone-dry and hot SoCal (summer job).
    Curious coincidence: One of my publishers is based in Tucson. The other is on the slope of Mt. Hood, not that far from Idaho. My western roots are showing, I guess.
    r/Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. We must be kindred spirits. I grew up in SoCal and have been a member of Nature Conservancy for years. Love what they've done for Silver Creek, Idaho.

      Delete
  4. I spent the first 35 years of my life in Phoenix, Arizona, so I know the territory. The book sounds interesting. I bet your title isn't duplicated in any other book. I like the title and also a great book cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you know how HOT it is here right now! The book is interesting, and I appreciated your comments on the cover and title.

      Delete
  5. Great blog, kathy and Jacquie! :) Of course I'm trotting over to Amazon and snag a copy lol :) Sounds like great reading for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm volunteering at Literacy Connects in Tucson today, hence my weird signature. Thanks for dropping by, Loretta. Reviews always welcome. :)

      Delete
  6. Great interview. I'm a big fan of Kathy's. She is gifted at combining mystery, adventure and just enough humor. Good luck with the new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! I'm a big fan of your books, as well.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great mystery, Kathy. I love the setting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a lover of mysteries, and always looking for a new series. Murder, Sonoran Style has piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Kathleen and Saralyn for stopping by and for your interest in my novel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful interview. Really looking forward to reading your new book Murder, Sonoran Style! Ordering today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So great to hear from you, Jeri Mae! Hope you enjoy my latest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview, Kathy. I'm looking forward to this read after thoroughly enjoying your first two novels. Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oops! Just a wee typo. Let's try again. Thanks for dropping by, Mary Jo. And for your kind comments about my first two books. I had such a fun time with this interview and talking to readers. Thanks for the opportunity, Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,

      I too look forward to reading your latest novel. Best wishes.

      Delete