Friday, February 1, 2019

How to Increase Creativity


 
Do you find yourself suffering from a lack of creativity in your chosen field? Fear not! There is help on the horizon. The February issue of READER’S DIGEST carries an interesting article in “The Genius Section” entitled “Jazz Up Your Brain.”
Charles Limb, a neuroscientist at the University of California, San Francisco, and a musician, believes that “improvisation is creation in action”. He has proved scientifically that in order to improvise successfully, musicians need to turn off the part of their brains responsible for self-monitoring. Too much control and inhibition destroys creativity. Limb also believes that we are all capable of being creative, but like any skill, it needs to be honed.

Limb states that to train our brains to think creatively we should practice improvising in our daily lives. The positive benefit is that the creative, activated brain is more likely to fend off poor memory and even dementia. Improvisation occurs when the brain frees itself from rules and instead invents.

I would make one observation though: you should first acquire or know the rules before you start inventing ways to break them. If you’ve ever suffered from writer’s block, for instance, and you know how to write but are hitting the wall, one way to deal with it is just to sit down and do stream of consciousness. Set a time limit. Whatever comes into your head for the next twenty minutes is what you are going to write down. It may just break the block.

In interviews, one constant question I’ve been asked is: are you a plotter or a pantser? My answer is: I’m both. I percolate a plot populated by characters inside my mind until I feel the need to write it down. I start with a rough outline and a character bible. As I actually begin to write my first draft, I often make changes. I am improvising. It works well for me.

Daniel Seewald (yes, my son) has a new blog in which he discusses how “innovation and creativity can be learned” not just by a select few but by all of us. He provides a series
of essays that I believe can inspire people in all fields of endeavor not just writing. Check this out at:



Your thoughts and comments welcome here!

14 comments:

  1. Interesting! My problem is to put butt in seat! I have written down that I will write to hold myself accountable after February. Isn’t that funny, but I’m too busy ‘til then��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zari,

    I'm impressed with your productivity as a writer. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also tend to be both. I've been calling myself a "plantser." I do plot, but in the roughest sense plus keep tabs on character traits, etc., but allow myself freedom to follow my muse—who has quite the sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great topic for discussion. Although I do get stuck sometimes, my problem is squeezing in the time to write because I work full time. I like to plot the entire story in my head before I sit down to write my books. I do changes things along the way, if I get a great new idea. However, I like to have the basic skeleton of the plot to follow in my mind. I don't outline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniella,

      I also like to have a novel plotted in my head before I sit down to write. I think it makes a difference.

      Delete
  5. Turning off the critic and letting the new ideas flow is the challenge. But it's a great feeling when characters and dialogue and activities show up on the page without being planned. Good topic for discussion, Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I think we might surprise ourselves using improvisation.

      Delete
  6. My best ideas come to me when I'm doing mindless household tasks. Two birds with one stone: a clean house and an idea I can use in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      I often get ideas while walking, either outdoors or on the treadmill. I think exercise encourages creativity. Housework works too

      Delete
  7. As you say, Jacqueline, when I hit a block I do the stream of consciousness thing. You may not end up using any or all of it, but it does help to open up your mind. As does walking and doing other physical activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      It's nice to have a professional author like you agree with this approach.

      Delete
  8. Wow, Jacqueline, I might need to try your way of plotting AND the advice from this post since I am struggling somewhat with jump starting my creativity for the year!

    Great post - THANKS for sharing
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam,
      I do hope this post proves helpful. We all need a boost from time to time.

      Delete