Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Let’s Start the New Year Right!

January 1st will mark a new beginning and a fresh start for us. I am planning what I intend to do during the new year, but my new year resolutions have only slightly changed for 2018.

First comes family needs and concerns.

Second, seeing to health matters.

After that I resolve to continue my writing. This I do faithfully beginning early each morning.

I will also continue to send my work out to various publishers and publications regardless of acceptances. Most writers meet with a lot more rejection than acceptance. In that respect, I am typical. But if writing is something you feel compelled to do—like me—than you work at it regardless.

One of my continuing resolutions is striving to improve the quality of my work. With that in mind, I pay attention to editorial and reader comments. The year 2017 brought publication of my novella THE BURNING which I intend to continue to publicize because I feel it’s a meaningful work worthy of being read.


There were also short stories published in a variety of genres. Two novels are scheduled for publication in 2018 as well as a number of short stories and some nonfiction.

I also intend to continue reading diverse books and writing reviews of those I truly enjoy.

I resolve to do more landscape painting. I’ve let that go of late.

I confess housework comes dead last—but it does and will get done, as does shopping and cooking. All of life’s necessities.


What are some of your plans or resolutions for the year ahead? Are they the same as last year or have they changed?

26 comments:

  1. Well, yours are commendable. Mine? I have five more days to figure them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite resolutions was not to complain about the brutal winter weather when I lived in Chicago. I made it through the whole year without complaining, and discovered that I didn't mind the cold nearly so much that year! So New Year's resolutions can be a positive catalyst in our lives, and I try to make the most of them. I like yours, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband went to college in the Midwest and loved it. But I'm a Jersey girl. Right now, I'm not so thrilled with the cold winter weather--especially when my best friend tells me how great it is down in Florida right now.

      Delete
  3. Jacquie, you're way ahead of me. I'm not even sure I want to make a list of resolutions--they're liable to nag me for the rest of the year. But I still have a few days to think about it. You're brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with skipping new year resolutions, especially when you like life as it's going along.

      Delete
  4. I made one resolution for 2018 that includes many parts: Edit a book I wrote many years but never was published, start book #4 in my Shakespeare in the Vineyard series, finish my new series that I stopped writing when I fell and tore nerves in my right hand, and try to publish a short story. And continue to promote my new book, Vineyard Prey. And read The Burning. Happy New Year, Jacqueline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole,

      You have an ambitious and worthy list! And I do hope you read The Burning. I'd love your take on it.

      Delete
  5. Great list. I don't do resolutions, just goals. Like you family will come first as always. I'll continue to write and promote, and no telling what else. Had many surprises in 2017, probably will in 2018 too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marilyn,

    Your goals are a lot like my resolution list. Anyway you state them, it's important to give our lives purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, my list can just ditto yours. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure yet what my resolution for 2018 will be. They will be different than 2017 when I agree to take part of a post-a-week challenge. And a thought of Jacqueline's? Love housework being last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with doing a post a week! Not easy. As to housework--I'm just being honest. Don't love it but have to do it. Still dust is patient; it waits for me to get around to it.

      Delete
  9. Good list, Jacqueline. I haven't even started thinking of any resolutions, but the sooner I do the sooner I can break them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      You've done very well in 2017. Wishing you continued success.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing your plans for the new year. As usual, you inspire me to get better organized. Clutter is the bane of my existence right now, accumulated, unnecessary junk in our household, my office, and intellectually. Too many books to read, too many to write, never enough time or, sometimes, energy. With. your influence, I began today. Cannot wait another week until the new year. Will report on any possible progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good list. So relieved to see someone else who lists housework dead last. Seriously, shouldn't houses take the hint and stay clean? After a while, it's like trying to teach a pig to sing.

    My list is similar to yours. Family, health, and of course, writing is paramount, and like every craft--it continues to improve with practice. Fingers crossed, this is the year I attend my first conference. This Jersey Girl is currently living in SW Florida and Bouchercon is in St. Pete this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know if the conference is helpful. Wishing you much success, Kait.

      Delete
  12. Great post Jacqueline. I wish you the Best of luck and God's Blessings in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Writing them down is always the first step to achieving them. Thanks for sharing, Jacqueline.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, Kathleen. Writing things down, making lists, helps us accomplish them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I was glad to see you, too, put family and friends first on the list and your health a close second. Those match mine. This year I felt guilty because I didn't write a lot, but then I realized that I lived a lot, which is also very important. So my intention for the next year is to write, to improve my writing and to be kind to myself. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kathy,

    Actually I believe that living life to its fullest is the best inspiration for writing well. So you were wise.

    ReplyDelete