Friday, November 3, 2023

Interview with Author Daniella Bernett

 

Daniella Bernett is a member of the International Thriller Writers (ITW), Mystery Writers of America (MWA) and the Crime Writers Association. She graduated summa cum laude with a B.S. in Journalism from St. John’s University. Lead Me Into Danger, Deadly Legacy, From Beyond The Grave, A Checkered Past, When Blood Runs Cold, Old Sins Never Die, Viper’s Nest of Lies, A Mind To Murder and Betrayed By The Truth are the books in the Emmeline Kirby-Gregory Longdon mystery series. She has served as a panelist at ITW’s ThrillerFest conference and for MWA. She also is the author of two poetry collections, Timeless Allure and Silken Reflections. Daniella is currently working on Emmeline and Gregory’s next adventure. Visit www.daniellabernett.com or follow her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008802318282 or on Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/40690254-daniella-bernett.


Question: What is the title and genre of your novel?  Why did you select them?

Answer:

Betrayed By The Truth is the latest book in my Emmeline Kirby-Gregory Longdon mystery series. It’s set in London and Switzerland.

My mother got my sister and me hooked on mysteries and spy thrillers, when we were little. That’s why I wanted to create my own mystery series. As for the title, I explore the idea that in certain circumstances the truth can be a double-edged sword with serious repercussions for the guilty and the innocent. Also, friends make the worst enemies because they know one’s weaknesses and how to twist the knife to exploit them.

 


Question:   What inspired this novel? How did it come about? 

Answer: 

I have a confession. I see murder everywhere. In beauty, there’s danger. Even the most bucolic and genteel of settings are fair game. In this instance, I was on a boat ride along Lake Thun in Switzerland, when the ember kindled in my mind. The lake is 700 feet deep in places, a juicy fact for one whose imagination has lethal impulses. I pictured it in December with a frigid wind gathering indigo clouds in the midnight sky. Emmeline was stumbling across a meadow covered in an opalescent crust of ice that sloped down to the lake. Before she could reach the woods, a killer’s hand clamps down on her shoulder. Oh, my. Curiosity left me no choice but to follow the Muse. 

Question:  Could you tell us a little bit about the heroine and/or hero of your novel?

Answer:

Emmeline and Gregory are British. They are married and live in London. Emmeline is the editorial director of investigative features at The Clarion newspaper. She is a petite bundle of fiery determination, who seeks to discover the truth at all costs. She’s fiercely loyal to those she loves. At the same time, she has a short temper and is impatient, a combination which frequently sends her hurtling into perilous predicaments.

Gregory is suave and dashing. He’s an insurance investigator and “former” jewel thief, who carries out the occasional heist to keep life from becoming too tame. It would be a pity to allow his skills to atrophy. Much of his past remains cloaked in shadows and oftentimes he goes off on secret forays of his own. Emmeline has vowed to find out every little detail because she hates being left in the dark.

Question:   Can you tell us about some of your other published novels or work? 

Answer: 

There are eight previous books in my series. All are laced with murder, deception, treachery and espionage. Setting plays an important role in all my books. It’s like a character all its own. I like to provide an escape for my readers and make them feel as if they are walking in my characters’ footsteps. Each book can stand alone. However, I include enough backstory in the books because I’m conscious that some readers may be discovering my work for the first time.

Before I started to focus exclusively on my series, I wrote two poetry collections. The poems are descriptive and emotive. 

Question:   What are you working on now?

Answer:

I’m working on Don’t Breathe A Word, Book 10 in the series. Lean in close and I’ll whisper a hint. Secrets, lies, kidnapping and revenge plunge Emmeline and Gregory into a simmering cauldron of deadly intrigue. 

Question:   What made you start writing?

Answer:

It began with a love affair with reading. I thank my parents for reading to me and my sister from a very young age. This developed into an appreciation for the written word. All writers are readers at heart. Writing is like breathing. It’s something I must do. I can’t imagine not writing. I would be like an empty shell, lost and forlorn on a stretch of silken sands. I love devising plots, adding twists and turns, and leaving a string of red herrings in my characters’ wake just for a bit of fun.

Question:   What advice would you offer to those who are currently writing novels?

Answer: 

I would tell aspiring authors to write the story that they want to write and not what others tell them or what the current market trends are. To write a great story, you have to breathe it, live with it, and nurture it in your dreams and waking hours.

Question:  Where and when will readers be able to obtain your novel?

Answer:

SIGNED Copies at the Mysterious Bookshop:

https://www.mysteriousbookshop.com/products/daniella-bernett-betrayed-by-the-truth-preorder-signed-paperback?_pos=1&_sid=0784103a2&_ss=r

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Betrayed-Truth-Emmeline-Gregory-Longdon-ebook/dp/B0CJ66BZJG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=daniella+bernett&qid=1697468153&sr=8-1 

Barnes & Noble:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/betrayed-by-the-truth-daniella-bernett/1144096917;jsessionid=3F265A4E93E6CCA1B2375068BC67004E.prodny_store01-atgap12?ean=9781960050236

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/betrayed-by-the-truth-daniella-bernett/1144089124;jsessionid=3F265A4E93E6CCA1B2375068BC67004E.prodny_store01-atgap12?ean=2940166109552

Waterstones:

https://www.waterstones.com/book/betrayed-by-the-truth/daniella-bernett/9781960050236

& wherever books are sold

Comments and/or questions for Daniella are welcome.

5 comments:

  1. Loved getting acquainted with Barnett. Thank. you. SHARON ERVIN

    ReplyDelete
  2. The novels sound fascinating! It was great to get insight into a successful author’s process. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete