Friday, July 7, 2023

Summer Reading 2023



It’s that time of year again when every magazine, newspaper and newsletter offer suggestions on summer reading. So why should this blog be any different?

Summer is the perfect time to spend some time vacationing or just relaxing. Sit in the sun, lie on a chaise poolside, rest by the ocean or a lake, or under the shade of a tree, sip a cool drink, and read a book—hard cover, soft cover, audio or digital.

 Mysteries remain one of the most popular genres for summer reading. Why? Because they entertain us. They also engage our intellect in a satisfying manner. Romances provide us with a happy ever after ending, good escape reading. If you like reading for enjoyment, it’s the way to go. I just finished reading THE BRIDE WORE WHITE by Amanda Quick (Jayne Ann Krentz). This romantic suspense/mystery continues the popular Burning Cove series set in the 1930’s. It’s great escape literature.

Two other mystery writers I’ve enjoyed reading this year are Laura Bradford, A PLUS ONE FOR MURDER, and Angela M. Sanders WITCH AND FAMOUS—both in continuing series. Level Best Books will publish my hybrid mystery HEART OF WISDOM September 2nd.

I’ve also continued to read a lot of Regency fiction. One of the authors I particularly enjoy is Jane Ashford who has written numerous Regency romances. Another is Mary Balogh. Just to mention, Luminosity has published my backlist Regency title TEA LEAVES AND TAROT CARDS in a new edition.

Lots of good summer reading on the bestseller list.

However, there are excellent authors who write for small independent presses and provide us with quality fiction but don’t get as much publicity because they are not with the big publishers.

If you enjoy historical romance, I suggest my novels:

SINFUL SEDUCTION from Luminosity, set during the American Revolution, or HIGHLAND HEART, historical romance set in England and the Scottish Highlands in 1745 at the time of the second Jacobite Rebellion. Luminosity will also publish my Western romance THE KILLING LAND next month.

 

What are you reading? You are also most welcome to recommend your own books so others will become aware of them!

 

 

  

15 comments:

  1. I am enjoying Tea Leaves and Tarot Cards right now. It is a wonderful combination of romance and the paranormal. The historical setting is a particular strength of the novel. I recommend it very highly. It is a great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting! I appreciate it. I hope more readers and writers will comment, particularly about their own work. Writing can be isolating and we need to share more.

      Delete
  2. I recently discovered Lou Berney and loved The Long and Faraway Gone and November Road. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy, a new author for me. I will check him out.

      Delete
  3. I'd like to recommend my novel The Ticket. It's a light summer read about a perilous search for a missing jackpot lottery ticket. Your readers may want to check your blog archives for your interview with me about my book. http://jacquelineseewald.blogspot.com/2018/04/interview-with-mystery-writer.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading The Right To Bear Charms by Denise Swanson. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading "Gallery of Beauties" by Nina Wachsman. It's set in Venice in 1612. It's the first book in her Venice Beauties mystery series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to Malice Domestic, a mystery writers/fans convention earlier this year, and came home with a suitcase full of books. Since I’m not teaching during the summer, I finally have time to catch up! Right now I’m reading through the Malice Domestic anthology for this year, Mystery Most Traditional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding. I know Malice Domestic does fine anthologies.

      Delete
  7. Married to the Black widow - compulsive reading, couldn’t put it down! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Married-Black-Widow-chilling-deception-ebook/dp/B0C4DNCTDV

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just completed reading Jacqueline Seewald's Sinful Seduction and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a historical romance novel set in the time of the American Revolution. The reader is given the opportunity to see and understand what life was life for the people living through this period of time through the author's rich description of her characters and setting. I didn't want to put it down. The story line is amazing right up until the end.
    I would highly recommend this book. Try it, you'll love it!!

    ReplyDelete