Friday, August 30, 2019

Interview with Author Elizabeth Clements

Elizabeth Clements resides deep in cowboy country in western Canada with her husband who is her real-life hero. She admits she’s an incurable romantic and thus her sensual stories always focus on romance, whether her heroines drive a buggy or a convertible. Elizabeth is often inspired by her surroundings, a photograph, or a song and the thought—what if… begins a delicious new journey into romance. Visit the author at her website:  https://www.elizabethclements.com  to learn a bit more about her and see pictures of the beautiful Cypress Hills, the setting for her western historical romance trilogy.
Question: What is the title and genre of your novel?  Why did you select them?

Answer:  Thank you so much, Jacqueline for inviting me on your blog. Beneath a Fugitive Moon is the second book in my Prairie Moon Trilogy published this past June. The first in the series, Beneath a Horse Thief Moon, was published in 2018. I love writing western historical romance and the setting for this trilogy is just an hour’s drive from where I live. In fact I can see the forest’s dark smudge on the horizon from a high hill.


Question:   What inspired this novel? How did it come about?

Answer:  The first book in the series was inspired by a Garth Brooks song of a man reflecting on a special summer when he was a teen. When the song ended, I said to myself:  “What if he comes back?” And he did. In this sequel, Mike Sutton whispered in my ear that he wants his own happily-ever-after story. Of course Josh Hunter wouldn’t be out done, so his story will be published next year. <grin> Each book is a stand-alone, but often pop in for a visit in all three books.

Question:  Could you tell us a little bit about the heroine and/or hero of your novel?

Answer:  In the current release, Jolene Reynolds is a feisty young schoolmarm who wants to be loved for herself, not her father’s wealth. Mike Sutton is a deputy U.S. marshal and a friend of Jolene’s father. Mike willingly comes to watch over the ranch and protect her from outlaws while her parents are away. He arrives in time to rescue her from horse thieves and he quickly realizes he’s in love with Jolene. But he never tries to steal a kiss. Not even once. Why?

Question:   Can you tell us about some of your other published novels or work?

Answer:  Beneath A Desperado Moon is the last book of this trilogy and will be published next year. Josh Hunter, the son of a wealthy nobleman, left England when the girl he loved married another for wealth. Her memory haunts him until he meets Molly, a saloon girl who yearns to be a lady. Can they overcome their past and find lasting love? In July my novella, Diamond Jack’s Angel was published in the Hot Western Nights anthology. That story was inspired by a visit to a coal mine disaster in the Crowsnest Pass, except my story has a happy ending.

Question:   What are you working on now?

Answer:  I’m revising a mail-order bride story set where I live when the city was a mere railroad stop over a century ago. My heroine is rejected because she’s too thin and not suitable to be a “workhorse” for the farmer who sent for her. The hero comes to the rescue. But who’s the one who’ll truly be rescued? I also have a new novella in which the hero and heroine are giving me a real challenge. It came to me in a post-dream state while  I was still warm and relaxed in bed, thinking of writing a novella for an anthology. My hero blew in like a hot Texas wind, wrapped the woman in his arms and kissed her with such passion that she nearly swooned. Then he left, his intriguing invitation lingering in the air. I went to the computer and wrote it down before I’d forget it, but I believe I boxed myself into a corner and am still waiting for him to come back so I know for sure what happens next. <grin>

Question:   What made you start writing?

Answer:  I’ve loved books all my life and wanted to be a journalist when I was ten. One day, many years later, I threw a book against the wall in absolute disgust, muttering I can write better than this. And then one day, while cooking breakfast for my little boys, an idea dropped into my head and I began writing on my dining room table.

Question:   What advice would you offer to those who are currently writing novels?

Answer:  Never, ever, give up on your dream to be published, no matter how long it takes when life intervenes. And read lots of books by well-published authors: study the way they put the story together. Study what you like and what you don’t like and learn from that. Trust your instincts and believe in yourself.

Question:  Where and when will readers be able to obtain your novel?

Answer:  All three of my published books are available on Amazon or through me.


Questions and/or comments for Elizabeth are welcome here!

13 comments:

  1. That's how I got my start writing too!

    What a wonderful interview. Don't you just love it when characters whisper in your ear? Ace did that in my Tempered series and Tempered Joy was born LOL!

    Good luck and God's blessings with your writing.
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela. I think we writers are a special lot, talking with and listening to imaginary people who whisper urgently in our ears. It's when we listen and do as we're told that the magic truly begins. Thanks for stopping by and good luck with your Tempered Joy series.

      Delete
  2. I always like to read author interviews because it gives you some additional insight of the author's work. After all, there is a little of each of us in our novels. I think each book should have a distinct setting and Elizabeth's books seem to fit that need. I think the best books are those where the characters keep yammering in the author's ear until he or she gives up and writes them down. Best of luck to this author and keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading interviews, too, learning a bit about the person behind the words, how they became authors. Years ago when I began writing, I wanted to set my stories in Canadian locations because we have such beautiful scenery and history, too, that I feel readers would enjoy reading. This trilogy is set in a jack pine forest smack in the middle of the bald-headed prairie and is just a short drive from where I live. It started as one book, but I fell in love with that cheeky rascal, Mike, and thus a trilogy was born. Thank you for stopping by, Joe, and best of luck in your writing as well.

      Delete
  3. I read "Beneath A Horse Thief Moon" and liked it so I'm glad to see you have more coming out in this series.
    I wish you would think about writing some historical stories with the NW Mounted Police. We Americans love those romantic guys and I know you could tell those stories with authority.
    You gave the best advice possible to aspiring writing about never giving up. I believe writers are the most persistent people on the planet. It's an extremely competitive field so only those who mean business and are dedicated are going to make it.
    I want to wish you every success with your upcoming release and those mail order bride stories are certain to be a hit. All the best, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Just visited your site. What an incredible view! Sounds like an intriguing romance. Love those cowboys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, you're always so supportive. I'm glad you liked my first book of the trilogy and hope you'll enjoy the second one just as much...it's more character-driven. And yes, I definitely want to write my NWMP story that's been simmering at the back of my mind for years. I have to find my hard copy of my mail order bride and may have to retype it if I can't find the disk as I did it on an older computer. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. I'm s glad you popped over to my website, Kathy. I'm blessed with a computer whiz son who set up my website and also took all the pictures for me when we went out to Fort Walsh and the area where my trilogy is set.It's an amazing and unexpected forest smack in the middle of the prairies...thanks to the ice age grinding through the area millions of years ago.And yep, love those cowboys, that's why I write romantic westerns. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Elizabeth, I have loved both your stories in your Prairie Moon Trilogy and am looking forward to the third one! Your characters just come alive and are so realistic. And I am so glad you submitted your story, Diamond Jack's Angel, to the Hot Western Nights anthology. All wonderful tales that kept me reading page after page! Keep 'em coming, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I look at the cover of my first book, Beneath A Horse Thief Moon, I relive my astonishment that you were announcing a trilogy, even though you hadn't seen the sequels. That is a moment I treasure, just like when I held my printed book in my hands. I'm eagerly waiting to do the same in a couple of days when my shipment arrives for my book launch at the library. Thank you so much for believing me and for stopping by. You're the BEST!

      Delete
  6. Elizabeth, I'm a bit late getting to reading this post, but it was so fun reading your own personal story of writing. Please keep following that dream, the world needs the stories you tell. Doris

    ReplyDelete