Friday, July 5, 2019

Summer Reading 2019

It’s that time of year again when every magazine, newspaper and newsletter offers suggestions on summer reading. So why should this blog be any different?


Summer is the perfect time to spend some time vacationing or just relaxing. Sit in the sun, lie on a chaise poolside, rest by the ocean or a lake, or under the shade of a tree, sip a cool drink, and read a book—hard cover, soft cover, audio or digital.

Mysteries remain one of the most popular genres for summer reading. Why? Because they entertain us. They also engage our intellect in a satisfying manner. Romances provide us with a happy ever after ending. If you like reading for enjoyment, it’s the way to go.

I just finished the last two novels by Jayne Ann Krentz, one of my favorite authors. The latest one, TIGHTROPE, is published under her Amanda Quick nom de plume. It’s a fine romantic suspense novel perfect for summer reading.

Lots of good summer reading on the bestseller list. But what about some of the excellent authors who write for small independent presses and provide us with quality fiction but don’t get as much publicity because they are not with the big publishers?

For adult readers, I suggest my mystery novel
Death Promise, a romantic mystery thriller published by Encircle and available on Amazon and from other booksellers in both print and ebook editions.


For readers of young adult fiction I suggest WITCH WISH from Black Opal Press, also available from most booksellers.

Intrigue Publishing is offering my adult romantic mystery THE INHERITANCE as a free read on Audible.


There are many fine writers who can be added here. As a reader and/or writer are there any authors and/or books you would like to recommend for summer reading? You are most welcome to mention your own books.




23 comments:

  1. Nice post. Jacqueline. I agree .. there's nothing like summer reading. I've just read The Silent Patient, and I'm almost finished with The Wedding Guest. Next up, The Alice Network and Little Fires Everywhere. Of course, I'm also editing the sequel to Murder in the One Percent. So the summer is off to a wonderful start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saralyn,

      Thanks for your reading recommendations. I'm certain you'll do a great editing job on the sequel to your mystery novel.

      Delete
  2. I'm always up for R&R reading during the summer...especially this one, in order to rest from some novel-writing marathons. I've already started, in fact. Mostly mysteries, thrillers, and sci-fi, but it's also a great time for historical fiction and non-fiction where I read a bit more slowly. Mental exercise (more reading) and physical (more walking) define my summer's R&R.
    r/Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, Steven, I also enjoy reading historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of these days I'll set aside an entire summer for reading....Yeah, right LOL! Hopefully I'll set aside SOME time for reading LOL

    Great post Jacquie.
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too hot to read by poolside in Tucson's summer, so I've made do with an inside easy chair. Some? Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger and The Desert Behind Me by Shannon Baker and Two Girls Down by Linda Luna and Substitute Soloist by D.R. Ransdell and yes, some nonfiction on writing and marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy,

    I'm not familiar with these books. So thank for the suggestions which I will add to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to recommend "Dead, Red and Blue" by Amy M. Reade, "People Lookin' Half Dead" by Marja McGraw and "Mistaken Identity" by, well, me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't read the others, Pat, but I loved Mistaken Identity and can recommend it as well.

      Delete
  8. I wish I had time to read more great books. I shouldn’t admit this but I’ve never read a Agatha Christie book! I read an article this morning about her, so now it’s on my summer list! I just read The Last Humans by Steven M Moore. It was great! Witch Wish and Death Promise are good Summer reads too! I read them upon release. Murder in the One Percent was so entertaining and for fantasy I recommend Kilts and Catnip! Happy reading everyone!
    Minette Lauren -- Zari Reede

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your recommendations. I appreciated your excellent reviews for both Witch Wish and Death Promise.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne,

      We got many views for your interview last week.

      Delete
  10. Jacqueline:

    Your body of work is impressive, as is the fact that you find time to write well-written blogs. Unsurprisingly, I'd recommend my novel
    Last Gasp for a summer read. It's a politically topical thriller, and, I'm told, the pages turn quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for dropping by, Howard. A good recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been focusing on books from Colorado authors this summer, and I do have a few recommendations. For historical novels, I'd suggest Charlotte Hinger's "The Healer's Daughter" and Diana Holguin-Balogh's "Rosary Without Beads." For the mystery lover, there's Margaret Mizushima's excellent Timber Creek K9 series. Start with the first book "Killing Trail" and work your way up to the upcoming book 5 in the series, "Tracking Game."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      Thanks for your suggestions. I love reading mysteries as well as historical novels. I'm certain others will appreciate your suggestions as well.

      Delete
  13. I've been reading Karen Robards Her Last Whisper. It's the third book in a series about Dr. Charlotte Stone, a psychologist who sees ghosts. I've also been doing a lot of promotion on my recently self published book, The Other Side of the Moon, a romantic comedy novella. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoy reading Karen Robards as well. Your novella sounds very interesting. They are difficult to get published traditionally unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really enjoying "Becoming" although that's not a mystery. I'd also like to plug my own book (sorry), The Yiddish Gangster's Daugher about a woman whose life is endangered when she discovers her father was a member of the Jewish mafia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a very interesting book. Is it set in Brighton Beach Brooklyn I wonder?

      Delete
  16. Over the holiday weekend I read THE LOST CAROUSEL OF PROVENCE, a book I enjoyed very much. I reviewed it on Goodreads this morning. The author, Juliet Blackwell, is new to me but I would definitely read more novels written by her. Cady Drake is the central character, a lost lonely woman who has a talent for photography. She is drawn to a chateau, a crumbling estate of a bygone era, by an antique carousel. The mystery of a box hidden inside one of the carousel figures disturbs her. In France, she finds a whole new family and helps them come to terms with what has troubled them for a hundred years. The novel is both romance, mystery and literary quality writing. I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete